Registration & School Tours
Please note that PS 261 is unable to offer private or personal tours for prospective families.
School Tour Dates below. Sign up is not required although appreciated. Please click on the date you would like to attend.
Last tour date for Fall 2018 entry is listed here.
Kindergarten registration is open until January 12th, 2018.
Pre-K registration opens on February 5th and closes March 30th. PS 261 has 36 pre-K seats. No seats will be offered to non-zoned families.
The majority of pre-K seats will go to zoned siblings. Zoned families who apply will be automatically added to the waitlist. On average we offer 2 to 3 seats from the pre-K waitlist to zoned families only.
Please review the general facts about enrolling in NYC public schools by visiting the NYC Department of Education Choices and Enrollment page.
To find your school zone use the NYC Department of Education’s School Search Tool, located on the 1st page of the DOE website or call 311 in NYC.
Medical Requirements for New Students: Remember that there are Medical Requirements for new students, which include a physical exam and a record of required immunizations. You must comply to complete your registration.
What to Bring to Registration:
1. The Child
2. Child’s original birth certificate or passport
3. Record of all required medical examinations and immunizations.
4. Latest report card/transcript (if available)
5. Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or 504 Accommodation Plan (if applicable)
6. Proof of address: any TWO of the following:
- A lease agreement, deed or mortgage statement for the residence
- A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name issued by a utility company (e.g., National Grid or Con Edison), must be dated within the past 60 days
- A bill for cable television services provided to the residence; must include the name of the parent and the address of the residence and be dated within the past 60 days
- Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency, including the IRS, the City Housing Authority, Human Resources Administration, the Administration for Children’s Services (ACS), or an ACS subcontractor or the federal Office of Refugee Settlement, indicating the resident’s name and address, must be dated within the past 60 days
- A current property tax bill for the residence
- A water bill for the residence dated within the past 90 days
- Rent receipt which includes the address of the residence, must be dated within the past 60 days
- State, city, or other government issued identification (including an IDNYC card), which has not expired and includes the address of residence
- Income tax form for the last calendar year
- Official NYS Driver’s License or learner’s permit which has not expired
- Official payroll documentation from an employer issued within the past 60 days such as a pay stub with home address, a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or payroll receipt (a letter on the employer’s letterhead is not adequate); must include home address and be dated within the past 60 days
- Voter registration documents, which include the name of the parent and the address of residence
- Unexpired membership documents based upon residency (e.g., neighborhood residents’ association), which include the name of the parent and the address of residence
- Evidence of custody of the child, including but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers documents issued within the past 60 days with name of child and address of residence.
For more information, contact Parent Coordinator Heather Weston, [email protected]
Visit a DOE Borough Enrollment Office* for information about applying to NYC schools
*The enrollment offices for our district are located at 29 Fort Greene Place, basement of Brooklyn Tech High School (for general ed) and 131 Livingston Street, 3rd floor (special ed only).